Monday, October 11, 2010

Crazy Love - Chapter 7

This chapter was a hard chapter to read. Not because it used big words or long run-on sentences that confused me, but rather because I didn't like what I was reading. Don't get me wrong, it was a great chapter and everything that Chan said was really good and really truthful...but I didn't like what I read because it really convicted me. It made me realize that I'm not living up to the potential that Jesus has called everyone to. It made me realize that my priorities are screwed up and I need to change some things.

Yesterday at Calvary Christian Church, Scott preached on sacrificial giving. I left feeling like I needed to take a serious look at my life and re-evaluate how I am doing in that area. Today, the chapter I read was about sacrificial giving. I think maybe God is trying to tell me something...

For the longest time I have struggled with giving/tithing because I always viewed my money as just that, my money. I always had this selfish thought in my head that I needed the money more than the church...I was missing a huge point. So while I was sitting in church yesterday and Scott kept repeating over and over that everything you possess is GOD'S (your car, your kids, your money, etc.) it kinda hit me hard. Something needs to change, and that something is me.

It all boils down to faith and trust. I need to have faith that even though I think that I don't have any extra money to give...God will provide and everything will work out. I need to trust that God will bless me if I give willingly and sacrificially. I need to learn to better give out of love...because as Chan said love is where giving starts. (that is my paraphrase) "For God so LOVED the world that He GAVE..." (John 3:16)

Over the next few days I am going to be taking a long look at how I can better give...sacrificially...willingly...and out of love. Pray for me.

Also, if this is something that you struggle with as well, I want to encourage you to listen to Scott's sermon from Calvary Christian Church and also check out chapter 7 of Crazy Love by Francis Chan...it challenged me, maybe it can do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment