Monday, October 4, 2010

Crazy Love - Chapter 6

Sometimes I think that I'm really bad at loving. When I look at people that I know...it always seems like they love people so much more than I do. I find myself looking at people and judging them or finding ways to justify not loving them...like someone that might annoy me or people that drive too slow on the highway. It makes me think of my dad, knowing that there have to be some people that annoy him (myself included) and people that he might not always enjoy being around...he always makes it a point to love them. I wish that I could do that more often.

In chapter 6, there is a section that talks about breaking free from preconceived notions of love and loving like Christ intended. Chan quoted a few verses from Galatians 5 that really made me think...its talks about how we are called to be free and not to use our freedom to indulge in our sinful nature...but rather to love. I had never really thought about that before. Through Christ we have been set free, but most of the time we just go right back to the sin that we were indulging in before we came to God, like a dog returns to its vomit. Jesus calls us to be more than that. We are set free so that we can love! God wants to change us. Jesus died to change us. Not so that we keep sinning.

We need to let God change us. I need to let God change me. My prayer today is that I would be able to love more like Christ...that I would be able to see Christ in others and love them. Will you make that your prayer today?

1 comment:

  1. It't true. It is definitely easier to love some people. But, thank goodness God gives us grace when we fall short of loving the way He intended. I think we should all practice loving someone that we know we have had a hard time loving. Maybe it will be good practice for the every day loving.

    I am excited that it wasn't very long since you posted last. :) Love you brother. And proud of you!

    ReplyDelete