Monday, August 3, 2009

Advertising Slogans...

This last week I took a trip into the Denver area for a mission trip with the youth group that I am interning at. We went to an event in the mountains outside of Denver, CO called Nationwide Youth Roundup. (insert sound bite of whip cracking...long story) We attended the morning session at NYR (whip crack) then ventured into Denver to serve along side of a local Salvation Army there. We helped out organizing office spaces and storage rooms and also played and loved on all of the kids that they had there attending a day camp. After our time at the Salvation Army, we headed back up the mountain and attended the evening session at the conference and camped out there.

On our drives back and forth from our campsite to Denver, I noticed some very awkward billboard advertising. One sign read..."Getting married and looking for a wedding singer? Call so-and-so at some number." Another sign read..."Meet the man who urinated over a liter every day!" Reading these weird slogans got me thinking about some other slogans that were once popular in our society. Here is a list of 10 of the top 25 slogans of all time as voted by Marketing Hackz. After each slogan...I am going to comment about what I think.

1. Just Do It- Nike--- What exactly is IT??? Might as well be JUST DO________!!!
2. Wotalotigot! - Smarties--- I don't even know where to start here. First off if you are going to put something on a billboard, you might want to make it so people can actually pronounce it. Second, you can't just make up words to promote your product...now to promote my new sock design...Shabobitalot!!! Ya, you want one don't you!
3. All the news that’s fit to print. - The New York Times--- This should read..."All the news that's fit to print, and most of the news that isn't!"
4. Let Your Fingers Do The Walking. - Yellow Pages--- I don't think that my fingers can support my weight. And also, I'm pretty sure that I flip through the yellow pages and pretty much all other books with my thumbs.
5. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. - Timex--- First, you might want to define exactly what a licking is. All I can picture is someone licking my watch...of course it will keep on ticking! I have never heard of anyone or anything that has molten lava or acid for spit and therefore my watch will probably withstand a "licking."
6. Where’s the beef? - Wendy’s--- Everyone who is anyone knows that beef is in Nebraska...more specifically Omaha...they named their indoor football the Omaha Beef! Sorry Wendy's...FAIL!!!
7. The Citi Never Sleeps - Citi Bank--- Who do they think they are??? Gotham City???
8. Hand built by robots. - Fiat Strada--- Does this one creep anyone else out?
9. When you care enough to send the very best. - Hallmark--- Since when is the very best a Hallmark card? I bet that if you ask any mom out there, they will say that they actually prefer their child's homemade cards...maybe Hallmark should come out with a line of cards like that...
10. It is. Are you? - The Independent--- I am. What exactly am I? There is a long list of things that I could be. I know that they are getting at people being independent...but this is really vague. What ever happened to the advertisements that actually made sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment