Friday, July 16, 2010

Crazy Love - Chapter 3

Crazy- 1. wonderful, excellent, perfect.
2. having an unusual, unexpected, or random quality, behavior, result, pattern, etc.

Love- 1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.

I have come to the conclusion that most people struggle with completely understanding God's love. I have heard questions like, "If God truly loves us then why do bad things still happen?" and "How can God love me, you don't know the things that I have done." I think that each person who struggles with grasping God's love does so for many different reasons...whether it is because of some encounter that we have had in a relationship that has skewed our view of love...or whether we have just not seen an outpouring of love at all in our lives...the reasons vary from person to person.

People try to associate the love that they see in this world with the love that God shows us and while that can give us a very small glimpse of what God's love is like, it pales in comparison. For example...I know that my parents love me. No matter what I do, no matter what I say. There is nothing that I can do that would change that. But still...the love that my parents have for me is just a small fraction of the love that God has for me.

Let me try to get this point across...the God we serve is a HUGE God. He is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-sufficient. He created everything that we are able to see in this world and even the things that we can't see. Yet a God that is so much bigger than our brains could even fathom loves each and every one of us with a love that we cannot fathom either! This God wants to be a part of our lives on a daily basis. Before we had ever been born, He knew us. (Jeremiah 1:4-5) He created us for a purpose that is "to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." (Ephesians 2:10)

I can't even begin to understand God's love but I do know this...that I want to try. I want nothing more than to be a part of a God who loves us with such a crazy love. I want nothing more than to be a part of a love that God chooses to give to us. I want nothing more than to be a part of the greatest good on this earth...God. I don't know why a God so huge decided to love each and every one of us, it is crazy to think about. All that I can do is embrace this love and strive with everything that is in me to give all my love in return. My love for God should make it so that I want to spend every waking moment in contact with Him...by digging into His word...by talking to Him through prayer...and by basking in the goodness of His creation. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your last paragraph. You did a great job putting to words and summarizing something that many people do not know how to communicate. God CHOOSES to love us. He isn't forced to. He doesn't have to. He CHOOSES to. I am with you because I want nothing more than to be as much a part of that as I possibly can.

    ReplyDelete